Tuesday 23 August 2011

WE HAD A GREAT BLAST AT MY HOUSE!



Yesterday was one of those days with very dreary weather that could get anyone despairing. I came back home tired from visiting some family friends and really felt like relaxing a little. But as soon as I saw my kids I could see the boredom written all over them and that they just wanted someone to play with them. But I was tired and needed some time out myself.

Yeah, I was so soo tired. Besides, I was busy juggling some financial figures and some other things in my head which seem to be working overtime. Now was not the best time for any tomfoolery or silly kiddy plays. Was it not about their welfare that I was scheming about somehow even on the Lord’s Day of rest? I just felt I could not be bothered now. I got myself a soft drink and tried listening to some refreshing jazz tracks on my laptop. But I couldn’t chase the gnawing thoughts at the back of my mind…...

But for how long could I keep denying these kids their time with their ‘great’ Dad? I remembered my wife had been complaining I was too busy to take time out with our kids and the family. And I knew I was guilty as charged, very guilty.

But I just thought “what time will ever be the right time for these kids and my family? I was always pushing it off and never getting back to it. I owed them time and more time as the days went by. And it always left me feeling helpless and guilty. I felt these kids were growing so fast and I was denying them so much waiting for the perfect day when everything will be alright and I can take time out with the kids……Things were getting critical…

I just got up on the spur of the moment and said ” kids, let play!”

 And we sang and pranced and danced and hollered and had a lot of fun. It was great watching all the creative dance steps and experiencing all sheer expressions of joy. And when we got tired of having a ‘party’, we went full swing into the FIFA under 21 tournaments and had many exciting moments cheering our boys on.

Friends, talk about creating a memorable family moment. I didn’t know where I got all the zest and innovative moves from, but it was so enjoyable and fulfilling. I realized more money is not really what we need to make our families happier but being more creative with whatever resources we have. I also saw we can only receive joy as we give it to others and not the other way round. I believed we wouldn’t have had more wholesome fun even if we had tried eating out.

Believe you me; I had not enjoyed any evening like this for a very long time. What a great joy it is to have a loving, joyful family around you right in the midst of a recession! As a man I am learning not to take myself so seriously all the time. 

Tell you what, we had a great blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment